Friday, February 8, 2013

The Venice Conspiracy

The Venice Conspiracy by Sam Christer is your typical thriller. If you like Dan Brown you'll probably like this book.

Ex-priest with mad martial arts skills, Tom Shaman (!), visits Venice only to become involved in a murder investigation. The murder is tied in with a cult. The book switches between modern day, 666(!) BC(E) and 1778. It's an interesting story and well written. It's well worth the time

As you can probably tell, I have a few nitpicks. Of all the names available why call a Catholic priest shaman? As a pagan interested in shamanism this irked me. Another name nitpick is three names that start with the letter T in the 666 part of the book. There are 26 letters to choose from. Stretch a little.

If you haven't guessed, the cult in the book is Satanic. Pretty obvious when the story starts in the year 666. I was also surprised that a book published in 2010 still used BC when BCE (Before Common Era) has become the norm. I guess it's in keeping with the religious overtones of the book but I noticed it. I had to keep myself from getting a pen and adding the "E".


I received a review copy of this book.