Friday, February 1, 2013

Moon Hoax

Moon Hoax by Paul Gillebaard is a thriller about an attempt by the Chinese to prove that the US never went to the moon.

I wanted to like this book. I was all primed with the Mar Curiosity landing. It's not that it's a bad book. It is well written. I just found it overly manipulative in places and that pissed me off.

China secretly lands on the dark side of the moon and collects rocks. Then it says they found the rocks in China which proves the US did not go to the moon. In addition they left a laser to guard the moon which could be turned into a weapon used on Earth.

The central character, Peter Novak, is a  geek/astronaut/spy (?) who is picked to secretly go to the moon and take out the laser he helped build. Oh, and by the way, it's a one way trip. Novak's father walked on the moon. When the world starts saying the US lied about going to the moon he has a heart attack and dies. Novak wants to do the job to clear his father's name. See what I mean about overly manipulative? The elder Novak didn't have to die. It was just an extra kick at the emotional can. I hate it when it's too obvious. But that's just me.

That's all I'm going to tell you. If you want to know how it all works out you'll have to read the book yourself. Maybe you'll like it better than I did.


I received a review copy of this book.