Friday, January 18, 2013

Redshirts

Some of you might know that I'm a TrekNerd (I avoid the whole Trekkie/Trekker fight). I don't take myself too seriously. One of my all time favorite movies is Galaxy Quest. I looked forward to reading Redshirts by John Scalzi from the moment I first heard about it. For the most part, I was not disappointed.

For those of you who are not Star Trek fans, the trope is that if any of the series cast go on an "away mission" with an ensign in a red shirt, the ensign will die. In the novel, the ship has extreme redshirtitis. There a lot of deaths. The story revolves around a bunch of new crewmembers who find out that there's more going on than meets the eye.

Redshirts is a very funny book. In fact, it's silly in places. You don't have to be a TrekNerd to get the jokes either. I loved the book right until the end of chapter 24. In some places the book has an addition to the title: "a novel and three codas".  As you can guess the codas come after chapter 24. I could have done without them.

Not that they are bad. On their own they're interesting and they are tied into the main story. I just didn't like them as much as I liked the main story. The codas were just additional words. I kind of wish I hadn't read them.  Yes, they did answer some questions about three characters who had bit parts in the main story. I just didn't have a burning need to have those answers. Each to his own.

I would recommend this book to any Trek fan and anyone who likes their science fiction on the silly side.