Friday, January 11, 2013

My First Murder

My First Murder by Leena Lehtolainen is another book I read in translation that left me feeling like it would have been better in the original language. The cover says it is supposed to be a "thriller" but I didn't find it that thrilling. It just seemed like a regular police procedural mystery.

A group of university students who sing in a choir are spending the weekend at a remote cabin to rehearse for and upcoming concert.  After a night of partying, one of them is found dead. The lead dectective, Maria Kallio, knows some of the students from her time at university.

It's a bit of a "locked door" mystery because the killer has to be one of the students in the cabin. There are sufficient red herrings for Kallio to chase down. The book is well written as expected since the author published her first book at age twelve.

The story is interesting. I just didn't care about any of the characters. Not the victim. Not the detective. Not even any of the suspects. I expected to have some kind of connection with some of the characters since I've done my time in various choirs. What happened was I felt that some of the characters were just a little bit cliched. The diva. The joker. The pacifier. Been there. Done that. Am I wrong to expect something new?


I received a review copy of this book.