Friday, November 9, 2012

1222

1222 by Anne Holt (translated by Marlaine Delargy) is the kind of book I usually stay away from. I hate reading translations. I always feel as if I'm missing something. I think that if I could read it in the language it was written in it would be so much better. Of course I have no proof of this. I just think that no translation can be perfect.

The other reason I wouldn't normally read a book like 1222 is because it takes place in the snow. I hate snow. That's why I live in Vancouver. Very little snow here. Not like Norway. The book starts off with a train accident near a mountain village with a storm approaching. The survivors have to take refuge in a hotel that is soon all but buried in snow. Brrrr.

This is a murder mystery and soon people start dying. It just so happens that an ex-cop is among the passengers. She's confined to a wheelchair but her brain is still intact. Hanne Wilhelmsen is another one of those anti-social, hard as nails, female cops like J. D. Robb's  Eve Dallas Or Carol O'Connell's Mallory. I don't understand why female cops can't be happy, social, well adjusted people. Do they all have to be so broken?

Despite the fact that it takes place in the cold, cold snow, I liked this book. It's filled with interesting characters. Many of them are not exactly as they seem. By the end of the book, I not only wanted out of the damned hotel but I wanted to know whodunit. I liked it so much that I might be temped to read others in this series.

The one nitpick I have is with the word "cripple". It is used a number of times, usually by Hanne herself. It is not a word that is used today. It's not socially acceptable and it really bothered me.



I received a review copy of this book.