Friday, September 14, 2012

Targets of Deception

Targets of Deception by Jeffrey S. Stephens is the first Jordan Sandor thriller. Originally published in 2009, it was republished in 2011 along with Targets of Opportunity.

I like the occasional thriller but I'm kind of particular about them. I want them to make sense first of all. I want them to be plausible. I'm willing to suspend my disbelief to a certain point. I'm willing to believe that the hero is trained to kill and is the best fighter on the planet. Having said that there is only so much punishment the human body can take. Only so many hours one can stay awake.

Luckily Stephens didn't push any of my buttons. This book is highly enjoyable. Jordan Sandor is a likable hero. I wanted him to figure out what's going on. I was proud of him for not accepting the easy answer. The bad guys plans are a little convoluted and a lot more complex than they should have been. Then again, if bad guys didn't over think everything they wouldn't get caught so often. And that would be bad for book sales.

I did feel sorry for some of the people who died needlessly throughout the book. I'm kind of resigned to the fact that thrillers have a high body count on both sides. I read both of the Sandor books back to back -- I read book #2 first for some strange reason -- think I should have read another book in between. I had to stop in the second book and go back because I was remembering things from the first book that I thought happened in the second. Lesson learned.

I like the Jordan Sandor series and will definitely be reading any other books featuring him that come along.


I received a review copy of this book.