Friday, September 28, 2012

Death on a Longship

Death on a Longship by Marsali Taylor is a quiet little mystery. Most of the action is on or around one of two boats. One boat is the home of the main character, Cass Lynch. The other boat is a Viking longship that is being used as a movie set. Cass is the skipper of the longship.

One of the film people is killed on the longship. The first two suspects are Cass and her father. She decides she must find the real killer. There are plenty of people with motives around. Cass uncovers a lot of secrets during her investigation.

Overall, I liked this book. It's a decent mystery even if I did figure it out before Cass did.  I'm not too thrilled with the "twin" aspect of the story. I've always thought using a twin was a bit of a cheat.

I've been reading too may books where the female protagonist is borderline anti-social and wallowing in her own past. I guess bright, happy women don't get accused of murder. I was sort of wishing that Cass would make it with the cop in the kilt.


I received a review copy of this book.