Friday, September 7, 2012

Collared

Collared by L. A. Kornetsky is the first book in a new series of mysteries. It's a non-traditional mystery in that there is no dead body at the beginning of the book. The mystery is not a whodunit but a what did who do? Frankly, it's a little convoluted. I'm not really sure I understand who all the players were and what they were playing at.

The book is competently written and the main characters are likable. I even laughed out loud a couple of times. The one thing I didn't like were the sections (in italics) of the dog and cat talking to each other. I found it rather twee. The back cover of the book says that the pets help the humans solve the mystery. They don't. They just hang around being cute. The dog does bite a bad guy but that's it for helping. I would be willing to read more of the books in this series if she dropped the pet sections.

If you want to read some great mysteries with an animal protagonist, I suggest the Midnight Louie series by Carol Nelson Douglas. Start with Catnap.


I received a review copy of this book.