Friday, July 20, 2012

This Dark Earth

I almost didn't read This Dark Earth by John Hornor Jacobs because I hate zombie books. The cover didn't entice me either. I'm not inclined to read books that state, "Grab your head-knocker and get ready for some wet work in the murder-hole" first thing.

I got this book from the publisher by mistake. Somewhere out there there's a zombie fan wondering what the hell to do with my cozy. I tried to pawn this book off on friends but I couldn't find any takers so I had to bite the bullet. I'm glad I did because it was a pleasant surprise. Jacobs didn't go overboard with the gore so I was able to skip over brief sections without much trouble.

If you have to read a zombie apocalypse novel I'd suggest you read this one. You'll have to skim over the cause of the zombie outbreak. Some of the characters think it might have been a biological weapon gone wrong but we're never told the truth. You'll also have to gloss over the fact that characters survive ground zero of a nuke by hiding in a culvert. It is fiction after all.

If you're interested in stories that examine a post-apocalypse Earth where the best and the worst of humanity are trying to build a new society, then this is a book for you. It is well written and the characters are interesting. You never know when things are going to go bad for the heroes. Be warned, the book ends in a place that cries out for a sequel. That's the only thing I didn't like. I wanted closure. Maybe I'll get it in the next book. If there is one.