Friday, July 27, 2012

Suzy's Case

Suzy's Case by Andy Siegel is all about medical malpractice. Surprisingly, it's not boring. Siegel manages to keep the story moving along without tying readers down with lots of technical jibber jabber. This is the first book in a planned series featuring personal injury and Malpractice attorney Tug Wyler.

I enjoyed the book. It moved at a fair pace. The story was straight forward. There were lots of colorful characters. The only thing I didn't like was the main character, Tug. That is a fatal flaw.

Tug has a habit of saying or doing things that show him as a sexist jerk. For example, every woman in the book - accept for one in her late fifties - is an object of prurient interest. The man wants to shag them all even though he's married. Then he tries to make it all okay by saying "At least I admit it." There are other instances of Tug being a jerk but the sex is a recurring theme.

Owning up to bad behavior doesn't make it okay in my books. I took an instant dislike to the man. I honestly didn't care if he got bludgeoned or shot or killed outright. I kept reading because I wanted Suzy to get what she needed. I'm not the least bit tempted to read another book in the series.