Friday, June 29, 2012

The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity

The Modern Fae's Guide to Surviving Humanity edited by Joshua Palmatier and Patricia Bray is a collection of 14 short stories about fae living in the modern world. None of the stories really stand out. A week after reading it I have to look at the table of contents to remind myself what I read.

There aren't any "big stars" from the fantasy world in this book. No Jim Butcher or Laurel K. Hamilton or Tanya Huff. There are only a couple of names I'm sure I recognize (Elizabeth Bear, Anton Strout) but since I don't always remember the author's name that doesn't mean much.

Of the 14 stories, my favorite is "How to Be Human" by Barbara Ashford. The idea of a fae becoming a self-help guru spending his days running motivational seminars tickled my funny bone. Fae trying to spread the use of plastic in "We Will Not Be Undersold" by Seanan McGuire was slightly disturbing because it explains some things.

This collection of stories is an easy read for a rainy after noon. Each of the stories deal with a different aspect of being fae in the mortal world. The tales are uniformly good. You might even find yourself wanting more of the specific world in a story.