Friday, May 18, 2012

Cook the Books

Cook the Books by Juessica Conant-Park and Susan Conant is the fifth book in the Gourmet Girl series. I haven't read the other books series. After reading this one I'm probably not going to read any of the others. It's not that the book was bad. It's just that it wasn't really interesting.

One of the quotes on the back cover sums it up: "Recipes that will leave you hungry for more of the Gourmet Girl's antics." There are recipes included at the back of the book and they are a heck of a lot more interesting than anything that happened in the previous 224 pages. I wonder about using a quote that praises the recipes and says nothing about the story. I guess they were desperate.

The "mystery" in this book (who killed the cook?) is so weak that I'm not sure I'd even consider it a mystery. It becomes obvious rather early who the bad guy is. Most of the book is taken up with the main character, Chloe Carter, complaining about her school work, her lack of funds, her part-time job and her ex-boyfriend. Not necessarily in that order.  This is pretty much why I don't like "Chick Lit."

I've also been under the impression that a mystery novel requires a detective - even if it is an amateur. No one does any investigating in this book. The mystery is solved by accident with a "deathbed" confession.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.