Friday, February 17, 2012

Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy

Naked City: Tales of Urban Fantasy edited by Ellen Datlow is a wonderful collection of fantasy stories that take place in different cities. There's something for everyone here. Like vampires? Gotcha covered. Like Fae Folk? Check. Are you a bit of a ghoul? There's a story for you too.

All the usual suspects are here. Jim Butcher, Patricia Briggs, Pat Cadigan, and even Elizabeth Bear. I'll admit I picked up the book because the cover told me there was a Harry Dresden story inside. This time Butcher has our lovable wizard looking into a curse on the Chicago Cubs.

I'll also have to admit there is one story I didn't read because it dealt with a certain phobia of mine. I also wish I hadn't read the ghoul story. It made me sick and put me off meat for a couple of days.  Exactly what you'd expect from a ghoul story. In my defense, you don't know it's a ghoul story until you're in way too deep to back out.

I'm beginning to think I like urban fantasy better than straight fantasy. If you like your fantasy a little on the noir side, you'll enjoy this book.
Enhanced by Zemanta