Friday, November 25, 2011

Murder Melts In Your Mouth

Over the top is the first phrase that comes to mind when I think about Murder Melts in Your Mouth. There are just too many "wacky" people in Nora Blackbird's life to be believed. More time is spent on the exploits of the people around Nora than on the mystery. I guess all the "colorful" people make the world of the Blackbird sisters more fully developed but after a while it's just noise.

I can't say I have that much sympathy or faith in Nora. Getting kidnapped twice in the same novel is overkill. Especially when the second time is by the person you suspect is the killer. I'm sure a lot of things in this book went over my head. I don't know anything about débutantes. Nor do I care. I also don't know anything about fashion. Nor do I want to.  There may have been cool or funny things about both those subjects  in this book but they were probably lost on me.

The murder at the center (?!) of this book is relatively simple. There are a few red herrings, everyone has a reason to hate the victim,  but there's really only one person who could have done it. The red herrings each bring to light different motives for the killing ad raise a lot of issues but in the end none of them had anything to do with it.

The book was okay. Some parts were even amusing. I'm wondering about the title. There's a chocolate festival going on but the murder doesn't happen there and has no connection to it. There's only one scene at the festival and a cameo appearance by a chef later in the book. The victim's son has a chocolate company in need of money but that's only touched on briefly - and the fix for that is unbelievable. While I was reading I kept wondering if all the chocolate was thrown out. Or if someone ate it all before I got there.

The title could refer to the heatwave taking place but THAT would be boring.

1 comment:

  1. Good review. I don't think this is a book that I will enjoy- based on your review. It sounds like the title doesn't really go with the story- which is too bad.

    Thanks for sharing.
    ~Jess
    http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.