Friday, October 7, 2011

Nightshade


I found Nightshade on a shelf in my local library. I probably wouldn't have picked it up if it hadn't been written by Laurell K. Hamilton. Star Trek books are a guilty pleasure. I usually take one into a hot bubble bath and finish it before I get out. Let's face it, they are not going to tax your brain matter.

I was disappointed by this book. If there is anyone who didn't figure out who the bad guy was by the time of the first murder then they were not paying attention. Talk about telegraphing. That's a problem with making Deanna Troi a main character. She “feels” what other characters are feeling. There's no hiding from her.

In this book, Captain Picard is sent down to Oriana as a Federation ambassador. There are two warring factions. The war has lasted so long nobody knows what started it. They are killing the planet along with themselves. Troi and Worf accompany Picard. Shortly after they beam down, the Enterprise receives a distress signal and goes off to find the ship in trouble. If you're thinking that's convenient, it is.

Before the peace talks can get started the leader of one of the factions is poisoned. The leader of the other faction points the finger at Picard and three members of another sub-group invited by Picard. Worf becomes the new ambassador and has three days to prove that Picard is not guilty or he will be executed. Yeah, I said it. Worf as a Federation ambassador.

You can probably figure out what happens next. The only thing that I couldn't figure out way before it was revealed was why the book is called Nightshade. I still don't know. Other than that the main action takes place at night. This book was nowhere near the quality of Hamilton's Anita Blake books. I was hoping she'd ad something new to the Star Trek universe but I was disappointed. To be fair, this book was written in 1992 before Hamilton became a best selling author. Maybe nobody's very good at the beginning of their career.