Friday, October 21, 2011

Claim of Innocence

Claim of Innocence by Laura Caldwell is an okay mystery. Izzy McNeil is a moderately interesting character. Another reviewer called her "plucky" I'm not even sure what that means these days. I find Izzy's family more interesting. Her back from the dead former spook/operative/whatever dad is a bit of a cliche but he's a nice contrast to the many bland people in Izzy's life.


 HERE THERE BE SPOILERS


 I'm sorry to say that I do not like the Izzy's client, Valerie Solara, at all. The whole did she or didn't she kill her best friend got boring fast. Solara is over dramatic. Dropping little bombs, like the fact that her father was executed for killing someone, while hiding something at the same time.

Here are some other things that annoyed me:

  1. The verdict in the case ridiculous. I really can't think of any logical reason they didn't find her guilty.
  2. The child molester storyline wasn't built up properly. It was just suddenly there, tacked on towards the end of the story.
  3. Neither the victim or the accused were sympathetic. They both made a bad decision to take the law into their own hands and then didn't take simple precautions to see that things didn't go pear shaped.
  4. The other sub-plot with Maggie and her grandfather was totally unnecessary. It didn't add anything important to the story. Other than continuing the theme of fathers and/or father figures. It was a distraction.
  5. Multiple and confusing case changes. If this is a new trend I don't like it. I like to get one, maybe two, voices in one novel. Not four or five. Unless you're writing a riff on Rashomon - which I think would be pretty hard to do well.
I wanted to like this book. I'd read good things about Laura Caldwell and the other Izzy books. It's an okay book. I'd give it a 6 out of 10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.