Saturday, February 26, 2011

Time Spike

This is going to be a non-review review of  Time Spike by Eric Flint and Marilyn Kosmatka. I can't really do a review because I never finished the book. I tried and tried over that last six weeks but I just couldn't get into it. For some strange reason I always feel guilty when I don't finish a book. As if I didn't give it a fair shake as they say.

I should have loved Time Spike. Time travel, science nerds, dinosaurs and conquistadors. But some how I just couldn't care about what happened to a prison full of people I didn't like or even care about.

The premise is that there is some kind of phenomenon that happens at random intervals where time is displaced and things are sent either forward or backward in time. This has been happening for a while and the government has been covering it up. It's been relatively small things but some scientists tracking the phenomenon expect something big to happen at any time.

The big thing happens and a maximum security prison vanishes. The government tries to keep a lid on it but the scientists sneak in and find out. Meanwhile the people in the prison are sent back millions of years. What they thought was a massive earthquake is something more. They can tell by the dinosaur scratching itself on the prison wall.

I found many of the characters stereotypical. The "good man" with a sad past as the warden. The young nurse on her first shift. Being the reliable one while needing the warden's shoulder to cry on. Then there's the fuck up guard who plans to take over but doesn't realize that the inmates are using him. Stop me if you've heard this before.

In the end I gave up because I just didn't care what happened to these people. Someone else will probably think it's a great book. I may try to go back to it at a later date or maybe there are just too many books I could like out there.
Enhanced by Zemanta