Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Vampire Empire Book One: The Greyfriar

I won a copy of this book through a contest on another website. I don't remember which one. I'm a little scatterbrained. I write things on various pieces of paper and then lose them. Anyway...

Let me start by saying that I really want to like steampunk literature. I love the aesthetics of steampunk (think movies like Van Helsing, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Sherlock) but I just can't get into the written words.  I got a copy of Extraordinary Engines: The Definitive Steampunk Anthology and only made it through the first two stories. Neither of which I remember much about. I really did try.

I managed to get to the end of The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, Book 1). I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I should have written the review then. Today I found the book under a pile of papers on my desk and I couldn't remember the book at all. I had to read the blurb on the back to get some kind of clue. I think that pretty much says it all.

For those of you who still want to give it a go, the action takes place in an alternative history. About a hundred years before the book's opening, vampires took over the Northern part of planet. They breed humans for their consumption. When they're not being bred or snacked on they are slaves that do what they are told without a fuss.

Only those living in warm climates live free. America is cut in half, Britain only exists in the tropics. The heroine of the book, Princess Adele, is the heir to the Empire Equatoria. She is about to be married to a man she's never met in order to form a solid alliance with America. It is hoped that the combined forces of the two countries can take on the vampires and win.

On a tour of the Northern boarder, Adele is kidnapped. She is taken to London, now a vampire stronghold, to be held hostage. The vampire's know about the impending marriage and the war plans. Adele's only hope is the mysterious vampire hunter known as The Greyfriar.

It's a decent enough story. If it wasn't interesting I would not have finished the book. I don't know why it didn't stay with me. I am prejudiced against books that don't stand alone. I hate the whole idea of "to be continued" unless I have all the books at my side and can read them back to back.

I don't know if I'm going to read the other two books. I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, maybe I'll try some steampunk erotica.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting. I have been seeing reviews of this book popping up in many places. Someone is doing their marketing homework on this one. I love the book cover and was hoping to gice it a read. Now I may just make it less of a priority. I'll still get around to it, just not before a couple of others that caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd still give it a try. I'm sure a lot of people really like this book. It just didn't do it for me. I'd be interested in your take.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.