Friday, January 14, 2011

Fearless Fourteen


Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich is pretty much what you've come to expect from a Stephanie Plum story. There's some sex, a mystery of some sort and a lot of laughs. This particular episode features a buried treasure, a kidnapped woman and her gamer geek son.

Some of the lines had me laughing out loud. Here's a sample:

"This looks like the Queen of the Damned costume party at the Shady Rest Nursing Home," Lula whispered to me. "Is this what the golden years looks like?"

"I heard that," Ruth said, "The golden years are for pussies. We went straight to brass."

People who haven't read the other 13 books in this series will be lost. I highly recommend them for some light reading. Don't expect the plot to exercise your brain. These books are what I call "Bathtub Reading" meaning you could take one into the bath and enjoy a relaxing soak. Neither your memory nor your vocabulary will be taxed. This book has just enough wackiness to make it worth reading.

There is one aspect of this series that I am getting tired of. The character Lulu is a "plus-sized" bounty hunter in training who used to be a hooker. There are a lot of fat jokes. Humor when she's around tends to be about her size/weight. She wears a lot of spandex that is a few sizes too small. She eats buckets of chicken when she's stressed. It's all just getting old.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.