Sunday, August 23, 2009

Space Magic

Space Magic by David D. Levine is a collection of science fiction and fantasy short stories. Some of stories might even tip over into the horror genre (just a bit.) Of the 15 stories in this collection there isn't one I can say that I hated. There were some, like "Brotherhood" that I didn't really get into. I have the feeling I've read "Tk'Tk'Tk" before. I been trying to figure out why a story about a salesman on an alien world seems so familiar but so far I've got nothing.

All of the stories are well written. It's easy to fall into the different worlds Levine has created in each story. More than once I ended up thinking "cool" as I finished a story. I think my favorite might be "Charlie the Purple Giraffe Was Acting Strangely." I'll admit the "cuteness" factor of purple giraffes and orange squirrels is quite high and the end might be a little predictable but it is a fun story.

Another favorite is "Zauberschrift" about a man who gave up studying to be a wizard must go back and save a village from a spell gone wrong. My least favorite story would have to be "I Hold My Father's Paws" where the main character's father has decided to change species.

I think writing short stories is more difficult than writing novels. A author has so little time to explain his world in a short story. The background of the story has to be established right away. The reader has to be sucked in to a new world with very little information. Space Magic is filled with stories that will suck you in before you know it.

Buy Space Magic

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.