Thursday, August 13, 2009

Promises in Death

The 29th Eve Dallas novel begins with the murder of Detective Amaryllis Coltraine. This murder is personal for Dallas because Coltraine is the girlfriend of the Medical Examiner Li Morris who is not only a colleague but a friend. Someone took out a cop. To add insult to injury they killed her with her own weapon.

Dallas promises Morris that she will get justice for Amaryllis. Right off she suspects the killer is someone the victim knows. Morris is in the clear. Coltraine's squad mates are not. Just as she starts looking at those cops Dallas finds out that Coltraine had a previous relationship with the son of a murderous criminal she helped put away for life. The son, Alex Ricker, just happens to be in New York at the time of the murder and evidence mounts against him. But early on Dallas starts to doubt the evidence.

Alex's father Max at one time employed not only Roarke but Roarke and Dallas' fathers as well (Judgment in Death). The theme of this book is relationships between fathers and their children. Dallas continues to wonder if good can come from bad seed even though she and Roarke are proof that genetics are not destiny. None of the three fathers would ever win any awards but how far would Ricker go to punish his son for walking away from him? Who would he use to do it?

Promises in Death has all the requisites elements of a Dallas novel. A decent mystery. Sex (although not enough for me). And humor which usually comes from Dallas having to navigate the evil waters of social interaction (in this case the bridal shower planned in the previous book). As I've said before one of the things I like about this series is how Dallas gradually gathers friends. The crowd around her gets bigger and bigger with additions every other book or so. Dallas' still isn't comfortable ("I have to get the thing for the thing") but at least she's trying.

The only things I didn't like about this book were the three dream sequences where Dallas talks to the victim. Other than that I have no complaints and I read this book straight through.

Previous book review for Salvation in Death

Buy Promises in Death

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.