Thursday, August 13, 2009

Nightingale's Lament

There are two words I never thought about putting together: fantasy and noir. There isn't any other way to describe Nightingale's Lament by Simon R. Green. While this is the first book I've read by Green, it is the third in his Nightside series. Nightside is like a magical world hidden inside London. It's always 3 AM there. It is inhabited by all kinds of things that can kill you so it's good to have a sense of humor.

Green's protagonist John Taylor is a private investigator with a reputation for being tough (natch) and a talent for finding people. The problem with using his talent is that it lets his enemies know where he is. He's got a lot of enemies. He's a good guy but somehow his cases always seem to go pear shaped before he through.

John is hiding out after one such fiasco (in which he did the moral thing but caused a lot of problems) when a man asks him to find out what's going on to his daughter. She's a singer by the name of Rossignol. She's very popular with the Goth crowd. All that angst has caused people to kill themselves. John knows that there has to be magic involved but he can't find it.

Nightingale's Lament has a good story and interesting characters. I found myself chuckling quite a bit at things like the funeral home whose motto is: It's YOUR Funeral. I picked this book up because the cover blurb was from Jim Butcher who writes a series pseudo-noir mysteries about a wizard named Harry. If a writer you like thinks a book is great you should definitely give it a try. I can't wait to read the other eight books in the series.

Buy Nightingale's Lament (Nightside, Book 3)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.