Friday, July 10, 2009

A Lick of Frost

A Lick of Frost is the sixth book in Laurell K. Hamilton's Meredith Gentry series. If you haven't read the other five you'll be hopelessly lost. I read the seventh book first because I couldn't remember how many I'd read. I missed a major plot point in Frost but they went over it in number seven anyway. The books are slowly moving Meredith towards the UnSeelie thrown but it's taking a heck of a long time. After reading Frost I believe it could have been combined with book number seven.

I guess I should back up. Meredith Gentry aka Meredith NicEssus is part human, part Brownie and part UnSeelie Sidhe. If you don't know what that means this series probably isn't for you. Hamilton has built a very interesting fantasy world where the Sidhe (pronounced shee) and their magical world are known to the humans of the mundane world. The Sidhe currently live in the US. It's the only country that would have them after a huge war between the Seelie and the UnSeelie. There welcome in the US is predicated on their not fighting. And not involving humans in their political machinations.

At the start of Frost Meredith is sitting in her lawyers office. Her uncle, King Taranis of the Seelie Court, has accused three of her guards of raping a Lady of the Court. To say that things do not go well would be an understatement. By the end of the afternoon, two guards are in the hospital, one human is bound for a psych ward and Taranis has proved beyond a doubt that he is crazy.

After that, there's a whole section of the book where nothing much happens except that Meredith has sex with various guards and talks about having to have sex with two goblins. This happens in every Meredith Gentry book. Sometimes I think the story is just an excuse to hang all the sex on.

Not that I have anything against sex. I would just like a meaty plot to go with it. This book and the one following are very sex heavy and plot light. The books are leading to a certain point but I feel as if Hamilton is trying to stretch it out as long as possible. Once Meredith has fulfilled her destiny there will be no more books so I guess Hamilton and her publisher have to milk it for every penny.

Hamilton is a good writer so I don't really know why her latest books have been so thin. I've invested too much time in the series to just walk away. I want to know what happens at the end. The fact that the end is taking so long is really beginning to piss me off. Maybe some day they'll make a Gentry omnibus with all the books in one. That will be worthwhile.


Buy A Lick of Frost (Meredith Gentry, Book 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.