Sunday, July 12, 2009

Aborted Review: Wit'ch War


On my latest trip to the library I ended up checking out a book that I had meant to put back because it was the third book in a series. Last night I decided to try it anyway. The story sounded interesting on the back cover:

In her hands, the young wit'ch Elena holds the awesome energies of blood magick, and the destiny of Alasea. For the fate of that fabulous kingdom hinges on her recovery of the Blood Diary. Only by mastering the secrets recorded in its pages can Elena defeat the evil magicks of the Dark Lord. But the Diary lies hidden in A'loa Glen - the fabled city that belongs to Shorkan, chief lieutenant of the Dark Lord, and his fearsome army.

With he help of her allies, including the ocean-dwelling Sy'wen and her great dragon, Elena prepares a desperate invasion of A'loa Glen. At her side stands the one-armed warrior Er'ril, who knows how to unlock the wards that surround the Blood Diary. But unknown to Elena, Er'ril is the brother of the dreaded Shorkan. Will he continue to act as her protector, or with he choose to betray her?


I suppose I should have realized just by reading that passage that I wouldn't be able to read this book. The use of apostrophes to break up words is, in my opinion, pretentious affectation. I find it annoying. If it were only one or two names that were apostrophized, I would have been able to suffer though it. Unfortunately author James Clemens seems to love apostrophes. I gave up after the first chapter.

And couldn't he think of a better name for his villain that "Dark Lord"? I'm just sayin'...

It's a shame. It sounds like an interesting story. From looking at the other Wit'ch books I probably would have liked the whole series. If you can look past pages dotted with apostrophes give it a try. Let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment. I will read it as soon as I can. Sorry I have to say this but I've wasted a lot of time with SPAM lately. If you are posting a link to a site that is not related to books I will not publish it, I'll mark it as SPAM.